Red Star to a "head of radio station"

Le decorazioni singole o in gruppo accompagnate da ricerca d'archivio
Rispondi
Egorka

Red Star to a "head of radio station"

Messaggio da Egorka »

Hello,

This is an interesting front line award. it is also a little illustration of the subject covered in the thread "Paperwork discrepancies".
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
Please, meet Guards Master Sergeant MISHKIN NILKOLAJ EMILYANOVICH, Ukrainian born 1922 in the village Pokrovsky of Artemovsk district, Stalingrad region. VKP(b) member since April 1943, secondary school, in service 1940-1945. Service position: 1 Gu. Mechanised Red Banner Brigade, Head of Radio Station. He was working in a coal mining enterprise as head of electricians team after the war (April 1946). Lived in the town Lisichansk.
UK part2 MISHKIN.jpg
UK part1 MISHKIN.jpg
So in the award register card written in in 1946 at the local Military commissariate he is called a "head of radio station". Do you have mental picture what he did? Well, lets see.
The citation will help (Red Star # 293568 awarded 14.10.1943). It is written closer to the events and by the people actually involved (in this case). MISHKIN's position is described as "Car Commander of Reconnaissance Company 1 Gu. Mechanised Brigade". It is somewhat different to "head of radio station".
citation RS 293568 part1.jpg
RS 293568 citation:
"During liberation of town Druzhkovka, comrade Mishkin's crew rushed into town centre and discovered 3 enemy firing position, two of which were destroyed and 10 hitlerites killed by his machine-gun fire. The left tire was hit by fire. Despite the damage, the vehicles was safely evacuated from the battle field.
During liberation of town Nikolaevka comrade MISHKIN's crew was ordered to rush into Nikolaevka and draw enemy fire for revealing enemy positions. The crew reached Nikolaevka and was subjected to enemy artillery, mortar and tank fire. Despite the hail of enemy fire, comrade MISHKIN after 30 minutes long barrage returned to the company position with valuable documents."

Here are Druzhkovka and Nikolaevka marked on German map of 1941.
German map Druzhkovka + Nikolaevka.jpg

to be continued...
Non hai i permessi necessari per visualizzare i file allegati in questo messaggio.
-= Archival research Service for Soviet awards. PM if interested. =- [50
filo
Moderatore

Re: Red Star to a "head of radio station"

Messaggio da filo »

Egorka ha scritto: This is an interesting front line award. it is also a little illustration of the subject covered in the thread "Paperwork discrepancies".
s-l1600.jpgs-l1600-2.jpg

[264
Egorka ha scritto: to be continued...
[73
Sii il vento, e non la foglia - С уважением, filo [hatt
rocketscientist
Moderatore

Messaggio da rocketscientist »

Nice and interesting. Did you clarify the incongruence between the "head of radio station" and "car commander"? Maybe he changed assignment after the war.
Egorka

Messaggio da Egorka »

rocketscientist ha scritto:Nice and interesting. Did you clarify the incongruence between the "head of radio station" and "car commander"? Maybe he changed assignment after the war.
Well, he was both! He was both the car commander and the radio operator.
He was the crew leader of armoured car BA-64, i.e. there were only 2 people in the car, one of which was Mishkin himself. :)
But it is still interesting how he ended up as "head of radio station" in the paperwork. :)
BA-64_in_Nizhny_Novgorod_Kremlin.JPG
Non hai i permessi necessari per visualizzare i file allegati in questo messaggio.
Egorka

Messaggio da Egorka »

Mishkin was commanding armoured car BA-64.
It has a crew of two people, one of which was Mishkin himself.
The car commander was also the radio operator. In facts of his award citations describes him as "car commander and radio operator".
ba_64_02.gif
ba64_109.gif
ba64_19.jpg
ba64_30.jpg
1500644714_ba_64_atr.jpg
8307(1).jpg
ba64_149.jpg
ruiz

Messaggio da ruiz »

An interesting story [264
rocketscientist
Moderatore

Messaggio da rocketscientist »

Egorka ha scritto: During liberation of town Nikolaevka comrade MISHKIN's crew was ordered to rush into Nikolaevka and draw enemy fire for revealing enemy positions. The crew reached Nikolaevka and was subjected to enemy artillery, mortar and tank fire.
So, finally this "comrade Mishkin's crew" was... a crew of one?
Egorka

Messaggio da Egorka »

rocketscientist ha scritto:So, finally this "comrade Mishkin's crew" was... a crew of one?
Exactly.
Here is a very interesting page describing BA-64 restoration project. Very informative!
And here is some information in English. Also quite good.
BA-64 inside.jpg
Rispondi