Red Star 42359 - OAN cavalier

Le decorazioni singole o in gruppo accompagnate da ricerca d'archivio
Rispondi
Egorka

Red Star 42359 - OAN cavalier

Messaggio da Egorka »

Hello,

I would like to share this interesting, IMHO, research for the Red Star 42359 from my collection.
Please, meet private SEMYON PAVLOVICH PLOKHOTNYK, born 1919. In service since 15 Nov 1941 on Tikhvin front.
He was a medic bearer in 60 rifle regiment, 65 rifle division, 52 army, Volkhov front. Bestowed Red Star by decree from 30 July 1942 for the actions, that took place at least before 17 March 1942. The commendation doesn't specify specific dates, and it seems to be written collectively for a period, but this is an assumption.
Skærmbillede 2018-03-29 kl. 19.19.29.jpg
So here goes the citation. Very short.
"While under enemy fire, he evacuated 26 wounded with their arms from the battlefield to the battalion medical point.
Regiment commander signature
Regiment commissar signature"
citation RS 42359 PLAKHOTNYK 1.jpeg
The veteran was wounded: the original "no wounds" was struck out, and written "wounded".
There is time gap between the commendation date (before 17.03.1942) and the actual decree by Volkhov front command (30 July 1942).

Probably in connection to his hospitalisation and later recovery, the veteran was retrained as a rifle unit leader. This part of the research is not fully done yet (will come later), but the next we see of the veteran is in January 1944.

On 22 January 1944, St. Lt. PLAKHOTNYK, the commander of 1 rifle company, 781 rifle regiment, 124 rifle division, Leningrad front is recommended for the "Alersander Nevsky" order.
The citation reads:
"Becasue Sr.Lt. PLAKHOTNYK on 21 January 1944 was one of the first to break through the enemy defence and successfully chased the retreating enemy and took over the station "Mga".
Also his company was one of the first to push the enemy out of the station "Tsnigri" and took control of it.
22 January 1944. Commander of 781 rifle regiment"
map MGA station 781 RR Jan1944 small.jpg
citation OAN PLAKHOTNYK 1.jpeg
The 124 RD commander changed OAN to Red Banner, which was actually an upgrade (ORB was the second highest award, after the order of Lenin.)
But on 29 January 1944, the decree #040/n issued by 67 army bestowed the veteran with "Aleksander Nevsky" order.
Unfortunately, Sr. Lt. PLAKHOTNYK fell in the line of duty on 24 of January 1944. It is practically certain his OAN was never issued and his award remained on paper.
KIA record 2 PLAKHOTNYK.jpg
Non hai i permessi necessari per visualizzare i file allegati in questo messaggio.
-= Archival research Service for Soviet awards. PM if interested. =- [50
komsomol
Moderatore

Re: Red Star 42359 - OAN cavalier

Messaggio da komsomol »

NIce!
But I need a short reading lesson: I read in cyrilic "plokhotniuk", with the letter "ю" between the final "n" and "k" and you translate it with a "Y" in english.
It is an effect of english transliteration or simply I misread?

Last question: does this kind of patronym always have ukrainian origins?
Egorka

Messaggio da Egorka »

komsomol ha scritto:NIce!
But I need a short reading lesson: I read in cyrilic "plokhotniuk", with the letter "ю" between the final "n" and "k" and you translate it with a "Y" in english.
It is an effect of english transliteration or simply I misread?
Last question: does this kind of patronym always have ukrainian origins?
You see it right, the last vowel is "ю". When I think about it now, I guess you are right, and it might be better instead of "Y" to transliterate his surname with "JU" or "YU". Even though, I have seen soviet documents having been transliterated with "Y", I would change as you say to "YU". Thanks for pointing it out!

Yes, the surnames ending with "-yuk" have been formed in either Ukraine or Belorussia and are common there.

There is another trick about his surname.
In the Red Star commendation his name is spelled: Плохотнюк Семен Павлович
In the OAN commendation and KIA report : Плахотнюк Семен Павлович
But this is the same man.
Such spelling with "a" or "o" happens for this surname. This surname most likely originates from the word "плаха", which means "block of execution". This could imply that some of his ancestors were executioners. There are though other, less likely, options of how this surname formed. But the same surname could have formed in different way.
-= Archival research Service for Soviet awards. PM if interested. =- [50
SergioV
Contatta:

Messaggio da SergioV »

nice research [50
Кто к нам с мечом придет тот от меча и погибнет
komsomol
Moderatore

Messaggio da komsomol »

Many thanks for the informations Egorka! [278